Recent Why SERVPRO Posts
Why Use SERVPRO of Bear Creek for Frozen Pipes?
Winter is here and with dropping temperatures comes a greater risk of frozen pipes. When water freezes in a pipe, it expands which can cause it to burst and create serious water damage to your home or commercial business. Pipes that are most likely to freeze are exposed to extreme cold weather- i.e. pipes located in unheated areas of your home, like the attic, garage or crawl space, and pipes that are poorly insulated (including pipes that run along exterior walls).
The good news is that frozen pipes are preventable if you take the proper precautions. Here are some tips on how you can prevent a water damage from frozen pipes in your home or commercial business:
Make sure your pipes are properly insulated in unheated areas. Keep your thermostat the same throughout the night & day, and always keep it above 55 degrees. If the temperature outside is below freezing, let your faucets drip- running water is less likely to freeze. Open the cabinets in your kitchen & bathroom- this allows warmer air to circulate around the pipes. Outdoor hoses should be removed & kept inside during the winter.
If you suspect a frozen pipe in your home or commercial business, you can attempt to thaw it by using heat- a hairdryer, heating pad or hot towels are some examples. Never use an open flame device, such as a blowtorch. Keep the water running as this will help to melt the ice. It is also important to know where your water shut off is located within your home or commercial business.
If a pipe does burst, shut off your water and call a plumber immediately. Once the plumber stops the leak, call us at SERVPRO of Bear Creek to dry out and remediate the damage. We are always prepared to help you, and we guarantee a faster response time than our competition. Our professional technicians are fully trained and ready to assist you, making your water damage “Like it never even happened.”
Tips for Reducing Maintenance Costs
How to Keep Your Cost Down
Around the country, facility management professionals have learned a great deal about how to keep their costs down while maintaining safe, comfortable buildings. Take a look at some of the tips gathered from these professionals, for some improvements in your own maintenance cost.
- Focus on Lighting: According to the EPA, about 35% of a commercial building’s energy goes toward lighting. Schools, stores and offices around the country have tried a few tactics to save money in this area. Some of those include:
- Dimming lights during off-use periods
- Replacing older lightbulbs with more efficient bulbs
- Installing digital sensing and control systems
In lighting and other facility management areas, there may be incentives available.
- Reduce HVAC Costs: One of the best ways to keep heating and cooling costs down is to schedule annual (or more frequent) inspections and maintenance. Heating and cooling professionals at SERVPRO of Bear Creek understand the particulars of the environment and weather patterns. Insights and tips from these professionals could help you minimize costs directly relating to running air conditioners and heaters. Other tactics could include closer looks at machines in your facilities that generate hear or adding some landscaping elements that help you maintain comfortable temperatures.
- Tackle Repairs Early: Many costs related to repairs could be reduced by catching problems when they are small. Scheduling routine maintenance is one wat to do this. It is nearly always cheaper to prevent or repair minor issues then it is to put things off until they have grown into much larger problems. For example, one corporate location replaced filters on air handles several times a year because of the buildup of debris on the fresh air shafts. When technicians recognized this problem, they devised a solution that kept debris away from the shafts, reducing the need to replace filters and decreasing he maintenance cost.
Have you found other tips that worked well on your facilities? What are some of the best tactics you have discovered for reducing your maintenance cost?
EVERYONE USES SERVPRO
We are one of the biggest restoration franchises in the world. We have built an outstanding reputation for ourselves, and are recommended by hundreds of different companies all over the world. If you check your national accounts list for sub-contractors. There is a good chance our name will be at the top of the list. We were founded in 1967 and have grown to over 1900 franchises throughout the United States and Canada. Most of our companies are family owned and get involved with our communities. When you choose SERVPRO. You are not just choosing a cleaning company. You are choosing your child's team sponsor or a big contributor to your local fundraisers. You are choosing a part of your community. We will do everything we can to not only keep your business, but your trust as well!
Call SERVPRO of Bear Creek today for all of your restoration needs- 281-463-9800
A BUSINESS THAT CARES
Here at SERVPRO of SERVPRO of Bear Creek we understand how important our community is. We like to support our businesses by shopping local when possible, using local vendors and giving back every chance we get. SERVPRO is a flourishing franchise with over 1900 locations throughout the U.S, and Canada, but most of those franchises, like ours are owned by local people who care about their communities. We work with local Police Stations and Fire Departments. We know that in order to keep a village strong we all need to work together. We are here in your time of need, we offer free estimates, and are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We know building and growing relationships is very important, without you our business cannot strive, and for that. We thank you!
Call SERVPRO of Bear Creek today for all of your restoration needs!
WE DO IT ALL!
Some may wonder why SERVPRO? Well I am here to answer that question. SERVPRO technicians are trained to listen to and help homeowners in some of the worst times of their lives. We specialize in getting your home back to preloss condition. We try to restore instead of replace whenever possible to help cut back on the cost of home repairs. We have special cleaning solutions specifically designed to clean, but not damage your belongings. We address your concerns and know the customer is always right! We work closely with your insurance companies, and can help you understand the claims process and how it works. Documenting each step along the way to make everyone's job simpler. Big or small, wet or dry. We are always here to help!
Call SERVPRO of Bear Creek today for additional information 281-463-9800
3 Tips on protecting your business from winter storm damage
When cold weather descends on Houston, TX, it can affect your business in a variety of ways. A winter storm can bring heavy snowfall, freezing rain and single-digit temperatures that might cause power outages, frozen water pipes and other issues that might damage your building. However, there are a few steps you can take before bad weather arrives that may help you protect your business.
1. Back Up Your Data To the Cloud Cold weather can cause your building’s pipes to freeze. When this happens, the expanding water inside them may result in a pipe break and flooding. This can be especially common in basements, where the overall temperature is cooler to begin with. Stored files can be ruined by this type of flooding, so it is a good idea to transform paper records to electronic ones that can be stored on the cloud. This can also make searching for certain blocks of data more efficient when you need to access them.
2. Have an Employee Storm Plan in Place Prepare a contingency plan with your employees and discuss it in detail so they know how to react in case of a winter storm. Include how they will be contacted in case of a closure, whether they can telecommute in case roads shut down and how to close the building down if the weather forces a shutdown in the middle of the day. Keeping everyone on the same page can prevent confusion and ensure the safety of your employees.
3. Have a Restoration Company on Retainer Trying to find a storm damage and restoration company after your building has been partially destroyed by winter weather can be frustrating and cost you hundreds or thousands of dollars in lost operating hours. To prevent this, sign on with a company before the cold weather comes. Then, if the worst should happen, you can start the recovery process with one phone call.
The fallout from a winter storm in Houston, TX, can be severe and harm your business. However, when you prepare for such an event, you may be able to act with more confidence and protect your investment.